This week’s bulletin YouVersion Bible App Listen to the podcast of this week’s message on Spotify
Small Group Guide:
Open with prayer.
Go around and give everyone a chance to share about how the past week has been. What’s one highlight? What’s one lowlight?
If your small group has talked about it before, feel free to use this time to hold people accountable to what they’ve asked to be held accountable for previously, and go through the “missional” part of this discussion guide.
Throughout this sermon series we will look at 4 examples of parenting in God’s Word. In this passage of God’s Word, we see one of the rare good examples of parenting. By taking a look at Hannah’s story in this passage of Scripture, we can realize 3 essential truths of parenting:
And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them.
- 1. Give your kids freedom of choice
- 2. Don’t retaliate against your kids
And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.
- 3. Be quick to listen and forgive
And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.
- 4. Take the lead with your kids
- If you’ve been following along since week 1, write down those names of kids in your life. If you haven’t followed along, where are you in the scope of parenting? Are you a parent? Grandparent? Future parent? Are you a support of other parents by being an uncle, aunt, a cousin, friend, teacher, mentor, ect.? Take some time to jot down those specific names down.
- Take a look at the 4 principals that we learned about parenting from how God loves us. How well do you do at each of these principals? Rate yourself in each category from 1-10.
- Looking at your answers from question #2, how can you improve? Is there one category that is especially low? How can you raise all of those numbers?
- What is your biggest take away from this passage of God’s Word? What did God teach you? Do you feel led to put anything into action? If so, what, and what practical step(s) do you need to take to be obedient to what God has led you to do? Who can keep you accountable to accomplishing this?
Pray for each other in your small group to be faithful take the step(s) that you shared above. Pray for each other and the interactions that they have with those who don’t know Jesus. Pray that God would soften the people’s hearts to what He has for them. Pray that God would give everyone opportunities to share the Gospel.
Share spiritual/missional conversations you’ve had where you live, work, and play:
Who did you have a conversation with that took a spiritual/missional turn this week?
What questions did you ask to discover where God is at work in their life, even if they are not aware?
How were you able to share your story of life change or how you have experienced Jesus?
How can you be intentional this week with people where you live, work, and play to have spiritual/missional conversations if the opportunity arises?
Who in your life do you think could be discipleable or open to spiritual/missional conversations?
Discuss the next step for your small group. When will we gather again and what purpose will it fulfill?